Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Davis

When we were looking to move back into the area, I was really pushing for Davis. My roommate in college grew up there. She brainwashed me with all her stories about how great Davis is. To boot, she was very bright and of course educated in the very reputable public school system there.

So for me Davis embodies almost everything I look for in a neighborhood, strong sense of community, college town charm, good public schools, and biker friendly.

What prompted me to sing the praises of Davis? They made the WSJ last Friday along with another one of my favorite cities, Madison Wisconsin. I would also live in Madison in a heartbeat, if it weren't so chilly there in winter. Seeing a pattern? Great college city, state capitol, with lots of fun activities, located on two lakes......

Anyways, Davis was cited as having 95% of arterial roads with bike lanes, and 17% of commuters who bike. Very impressive.

Unfortunately Davis homes are pricey, and its too long of a commute for hubby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy - you hit my button >; )

Well let's start with this from my blog:
http://gwynsters.blogspot.com/2006/09/davis-is-different-rant-whos-time-has.html

Davis is not special, and certainly not magic. The bloom came off that rose long ago.

Davis is beyond overvalued and frankly I can't wait for it to crash and burn.

I stay here because I work here. If either the DH or I get an offer from a Univ. in NC, KY, or TN; we'd have our bags packed and be on the road tomorrow.

If you want a town like Davis, try Ames, Iowa which is a great little college town with a good school surrounded by agriculture. At least in Ames the people who work there can actually afford to live there.

Anonymous said...

Oh and Davis has a huge rat and cockroach problem. The rats tend to stay more in areas with lots of trees. They are easy to spot running on the wire at dusk.

The cockroaches thing is all over. I see the entire sidewalk covered with them while walking passed the Mustard Seed downtown or in the any of the neighborhoods. They are oriental cockroaches, the the huge black ones people sometimes call water bugs because they will flood a lawn at night while the sprinklers are on. I see them in the early mornings when I go running.

I have no idea why the city doesn't do more about them. It's really disgusting.

Buying Time said...

Hmmm....not to give away too much information about myself....but the cockroaches don't sound as unpleasant as some of the conservative Republicans I have met up here in EDH. At least cockroaches don't pass judgement on others.....they dont' care if your your house is worth $100,000 or $1,000,000.

Anonymous said...

Buying,

I'll have agree with you there. I could never live in EDH.

Now Davis does have problems with NIMBYism and classism. They just don't wrap the american flag around it. Different approach to to the same issue.

Oh and if you are not part of the facultyor administration at UCD, you really aren't part of the community. You are a tolerated outsiders. This is a company town. The community isn't near as inclusive as people think.