Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Mother Nature vs. Sacramento

Lander's tip on EDH's asbestos issues reminded me of a line of thinking related to choosing a place to buy (and since I am still waiting for April sales data....I figured now is as good a time as any)

Do others think about the inherent environmental risks when choosing a place to settle down? After all, isn’t that what homeowners insurance is supposed to do, remove the financial risk of catastrophic events? However losing your home and possessions can be a traumatic event I would like to avoid if at all possible.

While the rest of the country seems to think earthquakes and California are synonymous….. those of us in Sac, know that’s just not true. Below is a completely subjective list of how Sacramento stacks up in terms of major environmental risks to a home (with a man made risk thrown in to keep us on our toes).

All in all there are relatively few major risks to Sacramento. However those that exist can cause significant amounts of destruction.

Hurricane – Low
Tornado – Low
Earthquake – Relatively Low
Volcanoes – Low
Tsunami – Low
Avalanche – Low
Mudslide – Low (perhaps greater in foothills where massive restructuring of hillsides have occurred)
Lightening – Relatively Low
Extreme Weather (hail, wind etc.) -Relatively Low
Flood – Moderate to Relatively High depending on location (lower in foothills)
Fire – Moderate to Relatively High
Getting Nuked by North Korea – Relatively Low (they would likely hit Seattle, SF, LA and San Diego first if they can get the range). (Thanks anonymous for pointing out the editorial slip...I was writing this with some jet lag).

6 comments:

Cmyst said...

When I first moved here about 15 years ago, there was a huge flood that hit Marysville and flooded out large parts of the Sacto area. I remember the river lapping over the bridge in Discovery Park. We lived in North Highlands near Madison/80 at the time and our entire back yard was a lake. Our house would have flooded if it wasn't a raised foundation. I remember standing in the soggy, but safe, front yard and debating with our neighbor whether we should attempt to pick up some sand bags from the fire station. And we were 100 feet above sea level and no creek or canal anywhere near us! A co-worker drove into what she thought was a client's driveway near Gerber/Power Inn and instead hit the ditch, and her car was instantly flooded up to the dash and actually floated away.

So, I know my flood zones and I won't buy in an area unless it's pretty low risk. I would never buy in the Pocket, or in Natomas.

If I had known EDH had the asbestos problem, I would never have rented up here -- but like your posters have said, at this point it's too much hassle to move and as long as the rent stays the same and nothing goes wrong, I'm staying until I buy. But I won't buy in EDH.

AgentBubble said...

This is a personal decision that's very difficult to make regarding EDH. We really considered EDH last year and even were in contract on a house. Ultimately, we backed out and part of it did have to do with the asbestos issues. Scientists on both sides of the issue are making valid points. However, the bottom line for me and my family is that I could never live with myself if I moved there and 15 years down the road one of our kids got sick and it was traced back to the asbestos. Perhaps I'm being anal about it, but it's just not worth the risk for me. Too many other nice places to live.

Having lived in Sac all my life, I've seen my share of floods as well. I'm with cmyst, Natomas and the Pocket are not an option.

Anonymous said...

I moved here in 93' and remember the floods well. There are entire districts I would not buy in.

I remember downtown Sac not doing well during the 95 floods. I lived in Poverty Ridge at the time and was thankful for being on that little hill.

Rio Linda, Elverta, North Highlands, Norwood, Del Paso, All of Natomas and anything on the garden highway. I'd never buy there in a million years.

And then there are just plain stupid places like a stretch of land under high voltage wires that some little developer built on. They are just on the other side of the discovery park levee. I remember looking down at them from the garden highway as I drove by and thinking "If the flood doesn't kill you, being electrofied to death just might".

And EDH, never in a million years either but that's just because I'd be tempted to kill my neighbors over national political opinions >; )

Cmyst said...

A lot of people in EDH and Folsom lean more to the left than you'd think.
Oh, who am I kidding....
The one issue that got them all out protesting was when they closed down the public driving range.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know it's not South Korea that has nukes, but North Korea.

From an American, born in South Korea.

Anonymous said...

"The one issue that got them all out protesting was when they closed down the public driving range."

Rofl Cmyst
EDH reminds me of OC during the 80's expansion, especially the part of the articles that talks about jobs.