Monday, June 4, 2007

En Venta (for sale)

Well, I wasn't exactly successful at cold turkey. I caved about mid week and went online to see if we hit the 17,000 mark.

Some brief real estate observations from my trip:

Lots of speculative real estate for sale south of the border (Puerto Vallarta). My father moved down there with his wife 4 years ago, because California (Stockton) was too expensive for them to retire. They are trying to sell their place (for 2x what they bought it for), and have had it on the market for over 2 years....along with the rest of the neighborhood.

Nothing like seeing living conditions in a third world country to make you appreciate even the humblest of houses in the Central Valley. I feel rather disgusted with my wish list knowing theirs includes things like electricity and drinkable running water (apparently they shut off the public water overnight).

1 comment:

Cmyst said...

I'm happy to see you back -- I was getting a bit concerned!
This is true: I lived in an apple warehouse office for 6 months many, many years ago in Sebastopol. It had running cold water and electricity, but no bathroom and no bathtub. We bought a horse trough for a tub, and heated huge soup vats of water on the stove for baths.
There was an outhouse in the back.
But oh, how the stars shone at night! And the apples, peaches and berries we could pick were the sweetest in the world.
Sure was nice to return to "civilization" a few months later and hot running water and flush toilets, though.