Monday, June 11, 2007

Investment Properties & Second Homes

One lesson I have certainly learned in my short time up here in Serrano, is to avoid any area where investors were allowed to purchase homes.

There is a significant number of renters in my neck of the Serrano hills. In addition, there are many empty homes (second and retirement homes). This makes for a very un-neighborly community (although us renters kinda hang together).

For instance, my next door neighbor's house is empty, they have never been there in the 6 months we have lived here. They have a very inviting, and well cared for, swimming pool we are tempted to help ourselves to =)

I also think this un-neighborhood dynamic has had a serious downward effect on the property values. Its hard to say exactly how much, because there is also a lot of inventory (investors trying to get out of the market). Some builders, like Centex state they will not sell to investors. My prediction, on average, their property values will hold up better in this market.

Of course, I tried to run some numbers on the Sac Bee stats for rentals, unoccupied, and owner occupied but the data didn't look right to me.

2 comments:

... said...

Just when I thought I knew everything (except spellin').

I think you have to live in an "investor" neighborhood to appreciate it's shortcomings.

In the areas you are looking, try American River Canyon or Empire Ranch, the latter will have a new high school this fall.

A good test, drive it mid morning or early evening and look for "walkers" .... no not from Star Wars.

Buying Time said...

Good point about the "walkers" ....similarly we had been using the trash cans out on trash day.

I have heard good things about Empire Ranch...and we have been scoping out some of those neighborhoods. I especially like the park near the elementary.

As for spellin....I abhor it and am obviously terrible at checking (since I tend to regard it with distain). I also have a ginormous tendency to make up words.