Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Taking Stock - The 6 month mark

Hard to believe, but we have been back in the Sacramento area for a little over 6 months now. Based on our research, word of mouth, the RE blogs, and Sunday drives/walks we have slowly been exploring different neighborhoods. Below is a general summary of our assessment so far (based on a house that can comfortably fit a family of four, a 25 year old fishing boat, as well as a teleworker office, for under 500k):

Neighborhoods we are seriously considering:
-Folsom
-El Dorado Hills (asbestos issue still under investigation)

Reasonably interested and more affordable than Folsom and EDH (but would need a further price drop to offset the poor performing public schools):
-Rosemont
-Rancho Cordova (Elliott Homes off Zinfandel we have now talked to several folks who live there and the airport related noise doesn't seem to be a problem, depending on where you are in the development).

Still looking into:
-Gold River
-Orangevale*
-Cameron Park
-West Sacramento

Wish List (can't afford):
-Davis
-Downtown/MidTown (especially Nifty Fifties & Fab Forties)
-North side of American River (along American River Drive)*
-River Park
-Land/Curtis Park
-Granite Bay
-Pocket

More or Less Off the list:
-Anatolia
-Mather
-Fair Oaks (seemed to be just as expensive as Folsom....but across the river)*

*Our general area of interest is along the American River and Hwy 50. The idea of fighting traffic everyday to crossing over the river is daunting. It would take a very special home to make us seriously consider living on the North side of the American.

11 comments:

Hamsilton said...

Just so you know.. The forties and fifties are not in Downtown or Midtown, that would be East Sacramento. (assuming you do not mean the 40s/50's in Oak Park/South Area)

Anonymous said...

Good call on the north of the American river commute. I've seen what the bridges look like during commute hours- bleh, it's nasty. And say this will all the respect I can muster being from LA and SF.

Anonymous said...

why not Anatolia ?

Anonymous said...

Because it's over valued and it generally sucks?

Buying Time said...

Why not Anatolia -

1) Prices didn't seem that different than Serrano for a newer development. And at least in Serrano you don't feel like a rat in a maze (since there are hills). The new Blackstone community will have the same type of community clubhouse (sales office opens this week).

2) I am kinda biased towards older developments (I like trees). With some of the new developments, I am nervous about how they will age...Anatolia has me particularly nervous.

3) If we were going to purchase a new home in that general area it would likely be the Elliott development off Zinfandel.

AgentBubble said...

In my opinion, Anatolia is the next Elk Grove in terms of price drops.

Anonymous said...

**points at AgentBubble**

Listen to this man, his clue box is full >; )

Unknown said...

you guys also left out this one:

http://www.whatisthatsmell.net

Unknown said...

the one thing about Eldorado Hills is the asbestos problem.
I know people from work who recently moved in the area and decided to no buy in Eldorado Hills because of it. It only takes few people to start a trend.

I would love to live there because I hate “flat” but I don’t want to take the risk for my daughter.

Anonymous said...

Funny, I eliminated Folsom from consideration because of its asbestos problem. I'm a gardener, so the idea of not being able to disturb the soil is, well, disturbing. There's construction on a high school near one of the Elliott developments that was halted because of naturally occurring asbestos. Not good.

I've heard that Anatolia floods.

My husband and I have been here since the end of 2004 and we're still renting. We're willing to brave the north of American River commute to live in Rocklin if we can afford it. Somehow I think we will be able to if we are patient and can survive renting in Elk Grove. We thought we'd try out Elk Grove first before buying. Now we've decided not to buy here at all.

Cmyst said...

Riverpark is a high flood risk, as is the Pocket. I know people, smart people, who keep inflated rafts in their attics in the Pocket and check them weekly during the rainy season.

I know you live up in Serrano now, and EDH does begin to grow on one after a while as I can attest, but now that I'm alerted to the asbestos issue here and in Folsom I would never buy a home here.
I love it in East Sac, and also in the Curtis Park/Land Park area, but those are areas that I believe will hold most of their price gains and I'll never be able to afford to buy there, and I've taken them off my radar for that reason.
Of course, I'm older than you, and the next home I buy will likely be the last home I buy. I can't afford to deal with floods, chronic housing-induced illness, etc.