Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Inventory Growth by Zip

Inventory growth has certainly slowed in many zip codes. Since I last canvased these zip codes in May (using Ziprealty), inventory has only grown 4.7% (compared to the April/May growth of around 18%). Not quite sure if the slowdown is due to increased sales, or just reaching some point where most of the inventory is already listed.

Some areas actually saw drops in inventory, such as Davis, and 2 zips in Roseville and Elk Grove. My inventory calculations don't include many of the outlying areas, which is why the total inventory is considerably lower than other reports (14,403).

I'm sure NAR will be calling another bottom soon since inventory isn't growing as fast as it was earlier =)

6 comments:

... said...

Location.... those 8 neighborhoods with decreases in inventory are interesting.

David said...

Inventory doesn't need to continue increasing at a high rate for price trends to continue in their present direction for some time. The pressure of the existing inventory will do that.

Anonymous said...

I don't trust those numbers at all.

For example, Davis inventory has been about 195-200 since March. It also has other zips such as 95617 and 95618.

Woodland has been at 330 for quite a while - 95695 and 95776. Lots of building in 95776 still coming online.

My favorite zip is missing 95814.

Anonymous said...

ok Found 95618 but 95617 is still missing.

Woodland looks right but that Davis number is wayyyyy off.

Buying Time said...

Gwynster -

Double checked on Davis...still get the same low number on ZipRealty. Where do you get your listings from? The zips I normally track come out okay.....but I don't have enough context to know if the others are right or not.

I can add 95814 and 95617 for next time. (I had a pretty abitrary system for inclusion....so its good to get some feedback).

BTW...glad to see you're back.

Anonymous said...

I checked Zip and the number is close to those, maybe 15 off so no worries. I do travel the neighborhoods all the time and often I will home for sale that don't show up in a search for everything in the city or the zip but I get the listing if I look it up by street name.

95814 is my favorite area. If there was a reasonable way to get from there to davis via public transit, I'd discard Davis residency like a satin dress on prom night.