Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Weekly Screen Scrape - The Good and the Bad

While the number of house pending sale compared to available has plummeted back to 20% (it dropped 7% as many houses closed escrow and some fell out), the price per square foot of available houses went up several dollars. This was due to two factors 1) some bargains going into escrow, and 2) new listings at wishing prices.

We are seriously starting to look into other areas aside from Folsom and EDH. Its been several weeks since we have seen houses that were of serious interest (custom homes at sub $200 sqft prices).

Prices in Serrano have certainly dropped over the last 6 months. When we first moved into our rental here, there was nothing in my criteria, now there are around 7 (3 pending sale). Although I do still see some comparable anomalies go at much higher prices. The house next door to us, which has been empty since we arrived in Nov of 2006, went up for rent this week.

1 comment:

Cmyst said...

I was thinking today that life is much simpler for me because my kids are all grown. When they were little, we didn't have the luxury of being able to shop for really good school districts and in retrospect, it would have been the greatest blessing we could have to have had them in some really good, safe, clean schools. If I had to do it all over again, I would rent the worst place in the nicest school district! We supplemented a lot with family field trips and the library.
A lot of the areas that I would just love to be able to afford to live in, I kind of doubt that the schools are top notch. There's more of that neighborhood feeling you're looking for in parts of East Sac, Land Park, Curtis Park.
I was out in Anatolia today for work, and it was depressing. So blah. No trees. Really huge houses, really small lots.