Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Weekly Screen Scrape - How it all began

The root of my obsession can be traced back to a marital compromise.

Once we were finally settled in after the big move, we started to look for a place to call our own. Back then the WSJ and the rest of the media were calling a bottom. Apparently I already had the heart of a bubble-blogger ....cause I didn't think we were anywhere near the bottom. So hubby and I made a deal.

Each week, I would pull all the MLS listings within our criteria to monitor market activity. If activity really seemed to be picking up for a sustained period (2-3 months), then we would jump in (the rate houses are selling compared to the rate they are coming on the market). I started the first week in February, so I now have data for almost 3 months.

This weeks results are the best yet!!!

Lots more inventory. Of the houses for sale, the price per sq foot has been slowly but steadily dropping. There are now some decent looking properties under $200 sq ft. (not just the major fixers).

As I failed to mention in my main post on new places.....the new houses are really putting the pressure on the resales around here......for example, this week, of the 2 developer listings that come up with our criteria, a new sale accounted for one of the two houses that went into escrow this week.

No comments: